Friday, February 1, 2008

Livin' in the South

Both Denver and I grew up in the Midwest. Denver lived in Northern Indiana until college, and I lived in Northern Ohio until I was 12. Over the years, we have both acquired a little accent. How can you avoid it? But......when I listen to Boston......I wonder if our "little southern accents" are stronger than we think! Here are a couple of B's phrases:

"I want mow-er" (I want more.)

"I want to play my Game Bo-ee" (I want to play my Game Boy....and yes, we have broken down in desperate times and let our almost 3 year old play video games!)

"Mommy, I sa-yed" (Mommy, I'm sad.")

....and these are just a few. It's so funny.

3 comments:

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I think it is unavoidable in the little ones. Bobby and I don't think we have accents and you have heard our country kids!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! I discovered your blog through Krissy Thomas' blog...and I did a phone interview with Denver almost two years ago for an article I was writing for Compassion.

Anyway, this post made me think of the time I was in Brazil, trying to teach a class of kids how to say hi. When they repeated me, it was "hiiiiiiy." Hello southern accent!

Amy said...

Hi Brandy! Glad you stopped by my blog! Yeah....the southern accent is hard to hide. I bet it was fun to hear the kids repeating English with an accent! Cute!