Okay...so I hesitate to blog about my teeth. Who really wants to read about that, right? But the saga that began over a year ago continues....
Here's a brief synopsis:
Up until Nov. 2006, I still had two baby teeth. After having Boston, I noticed them starting to change color and move. So after several consultations, the decision was made to get braces, remove the baby teeth, and surgically expose the two permanent teeth that are in the roof of my mouth. (too much info??) I was told the braces should pull down the permanent teeth into place. However, b/c of my age (almost 31) the teeth might be fused to my jaw bone....and therefore not move. BUT.....that was very rare.
WELL............can you guess? I'm the rare ONE! (probably not a big shocker to most) Yep, at my orthodontist appointment today, we decided to call it quits. We are no longer trying to pull down those two teeth. (His last case like me was 10 years ago! He's only had 3 people like me in his whole career!!!) So, now we are just trying to straighten out the top teeth.
After that appointment, I went straight over to my dentist for a cleaning. Okay...they literally sandblasted my teeth. I had no idea that's how they clean your teeth when you have braces. That was WILD! Then, I talked with my dentist about the whole thing.
My options are:
1) Remove the buttons from the two teeth up in my mouth, surgically remove those teeth, get my braces off, have another surgery to place implants in my gums, have gum work done, wear a retainer with two fake teeth in them for several months while the implants take root and heal, attach the final teeth to the implants.
2) Keep the teeth up there, get braces off when things are straight, gum work, retainer, and get two bridges.
OH MY GOSH!!!!! This is nuts! I will someday have GORGEOUS teeth....gorgeous expensive teeth! UGH! I still have to decide what to do. Think I'm going to talk with my oral surgeon and see what he thinks I should do............to be continued.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OK, I feel ya. I was faced with a similar decision...although not quite so involved. I had a retainer with a fake tooth all through high school (after getting my braces off with the fake tooth, which by the way is my FRONT tooth). So, when the retainer time was done I could get the implant, gum surgery and all that jazz and possibly STILL not have it work out (b/c the top front teeth might not ever take root for the implant b/c your bone structure is so small there) or OPTION 2- have a bridge. I opted for the bridge and have NEVER regretted it. I've had it for 13 years now and it's still good as new! :) Who knew someone could relate?!
Bless your heart. I have gorgeous EXPENSIVE teeth too - fortunately all my drama happened in the awkward teen years though. I feel for ya - I say keep it simple baby, well whichever is the less of two evils anyway. Bridge might be nice!
Oh I hate this for you....I still have a nice gap in my teeth up top where I had a similiar thing happen. A few years later and I never decided and now, I don't think many people would even know it was there if I didn't point it out. GOOD LUCK and I agree with Kim, keep it cheap!
P.S. And you thought today without the kids would be relaxing! HA HA
Great to catch up with you this morning!
ooh amy, does not sound like fun, but guess what? I still have a baby tooth! I'm afraid that if I sneeze hard enough, its gonna go flying out of my head.
Post a Comment