Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thank You Notes

The etiquette of thank you notes......this is one of things that makes me go "hmmmmmm." You know the drill - you get a gift from someone and then you "must" send a thank you note in response to the gift. If you don't.....then you are possibly viewed as ungrateful, inconsiderate, or negligent for not sending one. Hmmmmmm.......the way I see it is that gifts should be given with nothing expected in return....even a thank you note. Not that they're a bad thing. We should definitely express our gratitude to others!!!!! There are just some situations when I don't have time to write thank you notes.....like right now. =0)

Over the past several weeks we have received MANY wonderful gifts for London and Boston. It has been such a blessing to our family. We are SOOOOOOO grateful for EVERY gift!

So.......if you've been gracious enough to bestow a gift of any kind upon our family - THANK YOU SO MUCH! You may never see a thank you note in the mail (although I will try!).....but please know that we LOVE you and THANK you!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are so sweet, very well said! I don't know what others think, but I am right there with you. We should all get a "pass" on thank you notes after a baby is born. Please don't give it another thought. Just enjoy that baby and all the gifts that come along with her. God bless you all.

Love,
Kirsten Evans and family

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I never send them. Who has time. I usually make a phone call or email my thanks. It may seem less formal, but it gets the job done!!

Laura

Anonymous said...

FAH..GET about IT! (with an italian accent) They just throw them in the trash anyway. SAVE THE WHALES!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Save the whales??!?!? Jen you ok?
H

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!!! EXPECTING a Thank You note and getting offended if you don't receive one is just plain selfish. If you give someone a gift it should have NO strings!

Remember our deal Amy....NO thank you notes...ever! I already know you are grateful; you show that everyday by being such an awesome friend!

Love ya!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Amy...I don't think that the thank you notes should matter. I agree with Julie...if you give a gift - it should be with not strings attached. Part of the fun of giving gifts is just seeing the other person's reaction...that's thanks enough for me.
Don't worry - Bob and I won't be offended if you ever forget to give us a thank you note. :) Love ya!

Carrigan Family said...

Found your blog through Ashley Smith's blog and just had to comment on this one - I am so with you!! Just curious about what your Mom has to say about thank you notes - my Mom always gives me the lecture. We have received so much through this ordeal with our son Ryan - I now tell her she is welcome to send a thank you note on our behalf, but I am so over worrying about that - didn't really ever worry about it, but now - spending time with my children is all that matters! Hope you all are doing okay - I know these are hard days adjusting to an extra one is hard enough even with your husband! (you may remember I was London's nursery nurse one night - maybe not and I won't hold it against you if you don't :)). You all take care.
Mary Lee Carrigan
Gallatin, TN

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU Amy for this post!!!! This is seriously a pet peeve of mine that I so want to blog about but since my MIL reads mine I just can't. Why do some people feel like you are the worst person in the world if you don't send them a thank you card? We just had Carleigh's 1st birthday and with all that's going on I just didn't have time nor energy to send out thank you cards. I still have a little guilt about it but then again come on! I think we should start a thank you note ban!!! Like Jen said they go in the trash anyway. Thanks again for this post, I'm living vicariously through it!!!!

Sarah

carriehayes said...

ha! i love this! i agree with you all! i am still feeling guilty about thank you notes that i never got to after my wedding and some after hayden was born...i am so glad you all feel this way, too!!!! whew! I feel so much better! thanks amy! we need to meet each other one day :)